Erindale Tapestry Studio Presents
Needle Felt Your Pets
We all love our pets! What if you could needle felt your very own for yourself or a friend? In this offering of classes, you’ll learn how to make your very own needle felted cat or dog, based on photos of the pet of your choice. So adorable! This course will take you step-by-step through the process of transforming wool roving into an adorable version of your dog that is approximately 4-5 inches tall. This is for experienced needle felting students, so come prepared to stretch your skills. You are welcome to make as many pets during the course as you like, with the aid of our live Zoom sessions and pre-recorded video tutorials. Bring your favorite fur friend to wooly life through these exciting classes!
Use the product grid below to build your customized needle felting adventure! Select either the dog or cat class (or both!), any materials you might need, and submit your order to register. Zoom classes meet on Thursday afternoons from noon to 3pm CST. Please have several photographs of your beloved pet available as a visual aid for the class and think about the pose you would like your pet to be in (standing, sitting, lying down, etc.). Please send at least one to Laura before the start of the class, so she can get to know your pet as well and can better assist you in personalizing your project. The individual sessions will not be recorded, but pre-recorded video tutorials specific to this project will be available for you to use during and after the course. Because everyone's color needs will be quite different (and intermediate to advanced level students often have their own stash of supplies), below is a suggestion for the materials you will need. Feel free to add additional materials as desired. Many of these can be sourced right here on our e-store via the grid below! Suggested Materials (No Materials Kit Included in Course):
- 1 oz. wool roving in the primary color of your dog. This will be used for structure as well as coloration.
- Smaller quantities of wool in the secondary colors of your pet, as necessary. Also consider colors for the nose and mouth.
- 2 glass eye beads. We have several types available, or you can use your own.
- Needle and black thread for sewing on the eyes
- Stiff thread (like upholstery thread or fishing line) in an appropriate color for whiskers, if desired (optional)
- Felting needle(s), I prefer gauge 38, 3-sided felting needles.
- Foam work pad on which to felt
- A kabob stick for rolling shapes
- A Scissors
- Any additional personalization trinkets for your pet, such as ribbon, bells, collars, scarves, hats, get creative if you wish!